You and Your Junk Drawer
Posted October 24, 2013 by Prairie Wife -
So, as you may have noticed more than half a decade has passed. I have had 3 more children, and moved to the Prairie Homestead. But, one thing has remained the same through all those years; my junk drawer can still not be opened without a fight, I have to pull out at least 3 screwdrivers before I get the one I want, and I have never once looked at the appliance instruction manuals.
1 Trash Can
1. Dump the whole drawer out onto the counter or floor. Stare in amazement at all the stuff you never knew was in there. Four tape measures, 25 lighters (and we don’t even smoke), six rolls of tape?!
2. Throw away (or donate) anything you haven’t used in a year or more. Keep warranty information (not the empty card you never filled out, or sent in) if you have it but, toss the rest of those manuals. Everything you might need to know about your appliances, is on the internet now, just go to the brand homepage.
3. Put all of the stuff that belongs to your husband in the garage or shop, it’s his problem now!
4. Do you really need 50 rubber bands? 20 paper clips? Just keep five of each.
5. Vacuum out all the dust and crumbs (how do crumbs get in there?) and place your silverware tray in the drawer.
6. Sort and organize away! When you look at mine you can see I sorted by type (phillips vs. flathead screwdrivers) and who uses it. I put the stuff the kids always need in the front.
7. Close the drawer, and open it. Now, do it five more times, isn’t it amazing? There is nothing you have to push down or pull out! Stand and stare at it for a while. Isn’t being like Martha great?!
Categories: Prairie Wife Style, The Prairie Homestead
Tags: , junk drawer, Martha Stewart, organization, Prairie Wife, The Prairie Homestead
Previous Post « Origins of a Prairie Wife Part 1
Next Post Homemade Whipped Cream »