4 Steps to a Quick and (Almost) Painless Purge
Posted June 14, 2017 by Prairie Wife - 1 comment
Every year we do a purge of our entire home. With a special focus on all of the Cowkids’ rooms. If I’m pregnant and nesting, I go even deeper and end up taking it next level and scrub the whole house top to bottom too.
I guess what I’m saying is that around here, we’ve had a lot of practice with a good old-fashioned home purge.
So, I thought I would share my process with you, in the hopes that it may help you and your family.
- Make a list of the rooms that you want to purge.
- Schedule days, times, and a deadline.
- Inform your family of your plan and include them in the process.
- If some major organization is involved, purchase containers.
2. Gather Up Your Supplies
- Trash bags for garbage.
- Containers for giveaway items.
- New containers for organization (buckets, baskets, large Ziplock bags etc.).
- Gloves if it might get down and dirty!
3. Get Started
- Pick your first room.
- Start in one spot and work your way around the room clockwise (no zig-zagging).
- Touch everything and immediately put it in its correct space.
Time to Ask Yourself Some Questions
- Can I remember the last time someone used this?
- Does it bring me (or a family member) joy?
- Will someone else get more use from this?
- Am I keeping it out of guilt?
4. Finish Strong
- Don’t stop until you’ve met your goal.
- Follow through on donating and throwing away items (don’t let them sit in your garage).
- Reward yourself and your family when you are finished!
Tips For Including the Kids
- Let them see you purge and talk them through the process.
- Keep containers clearly labeled (black bags for trash, white bags or boxes for donations).
- Keep your goals small, like two rooms a day, so they have time to take a break.
- Reward them at the end for all their help.
- Include everyone in the family by assigning age-appropriate tasks.
Did I miss anything?!
Are you ready to PURGE?!
Next Post Wyo Sal: A Work in Progress »