GO AHEAD Judge Me!
Posted January 17, 2014 by Prairie Wife - 12 comments
I’m feeling a little rebellious today, maybe it’s all the sleep I have been getting lately, or the fact that the sun has been out three days in a row. I even have hopes that I might, maybe, be able to go for a run tomorrow. Anyway, there have been a ton of posts on blogs lately about the whole mom vs. mom phenomenon. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this whole “thing” to sum it up it is the completely not new thing (sarcasm is hard to type but I think you understand) of females judging other females and being ridiculously mean to each other. Some people may refer to it as middle school, or high school…
Let me just be flat out honest with you, hell yeah I judge other woman, and really people in general. I mean come on who doesn’t? I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t love to sit and watch people go by at the airport or mall, and chat with their friend or husband about what they see. And yup, I have totally judged that mom that just got slapped (three times) in the face by her toddler at the grocery store! That being said let me share with you why I think I am still a good person. I may judge you in my head, or even in whispers, to my friend or husband but, it doesn’t keep me from being kind to the people I judge. And I would never intentionally be disrespectful in any way.
I don’t shoot the mom with the slapping toddler a mean look (even if there is no way I would ever let my kid do that to me more than once), I smile at her and say a prayer that she will be able to give her child what he needs, whether that’s a hug, nap, or swift kick in the butt…that part is not up to me. And let’s face it, sometimes judging someone can keep you safe. Fair or not, the unwashed man with the frothing dog weaving back and forth on the sidewalk at 9:00 am is someone I am going to stay away from. I am going to judge him and think that he is drunk and perhaps emotionally unstable, and that I better just keep away from him. But I am not going to yell at him, give him dirty looks, or try and force my morals and opinion on him.
Fellow moms, wives, women, and human kind in general, the problem is not the judging of others. It is our unwillingness to accept others as individuals and acknowledge that even if their beliefs and behavior are deeply different than yours, they are still human and deserve respect. I could keep on going with examples, and we could spend months talking about all of the grey areas but you all get what I am trying to say. Back off, judge each other, but stop trying to get your digs in about who has it better or worse. In the spirit of helping others to feel better I am going to air some of my dirty laundry. Feel free to judge away and feel way cooler than I am, heck even laugh at me…just treat me with respect when you see me at the grocery store…
1. I not only listen to One Direction I absolutely rock out to them. I may not own the t-shirt or even be able to name all of them (good for you if you can). But, when “The Story of my Life” comes on the radio you better believe that I am cranking that sucker up, singing at the top of my lungs, and bopping around like an 11 year old.
2. Forget the 5 second rule around here, it’s more like 5 hours. By kid 3 I completely gave up trying to keep my floor clean and my kids are totally free to eat whatever they find. Heck Cowgirl G once ate a hamburger off the sidewalk! I have to say it was hers, and she had only dropped it a few minutes before she went back to it and finished it off, but the truth is I let my kid eat a hamburger off the sidewalk. The Cowkids have one heck of an immune system!
3. Along the same vein, I don’t always wash my hands after I change a diaper.
4. And chances are I have probably held a conversation with you either texting or talking from my bathroom, while I was using the toilet. Yup go ahead judge away!
5. I have, on more than one occasion, put my children in front of the T.V. for hours on end just so I can read a good book.
6. I still can’t watch people making out on T.V. without covering my eyes and turning away.
7. I hate John Wayne. I think he is one of the most overrated actors ever! The Cowboy calls me a communist and says that he almost didn’t marry be because of this, but I refuse to watch any of his movies.
8. Sometimes I pick my nose. That same thing that I am always scolding my kids about, especially Cowboy J…yup I’m guilty of it. Do as I say not as I do kids!
Yep! Go AHEAD. Judge Me!
9. I love being pregnant. I barely get sick; I didn’t even throw up once when I was pregnant with Cowbaby. My super freakishly long torso means I have tons of room for babies, no stretch marks, and I am comfortable until the day the kids come out. I am proud that with hard work I have been able to get back to my pre-baby weight after every kid. And you know what? I’m tired of apologizing to people about it, and getting dirty looks from other women when I tell them I don’t get sick or have stretch marks on my stomach. I am not sorry, I love being pregnant!
10. I swear in front of my kids, loudly and angrily. I have tried to stop numerous times but something always happens and I fall right back into my old habits. Sometimes you just need to drop the f-bomb when you are telling a story to a girlfriend; it just makes the emotion of the story so much clearer. I just say to my kids when they start to repeat the naughty words “You can’t say that word, only daddy says that!”
WHEW! That felt great! Go ahead, let me know what you think in our comments area, and feel free to air some of your own dirty laundry! So. Go AHEAD Judge Me!
Categories: Life As It Happens, Prairie Life
Tags: , change a diaper, do as i say, pick my nose
Previous Post « YOU PICK Prairie Wife of the Week February 2014
Next Post Sister: A Novel by Rosamund Lupton »
12 thoughts on "GO AHEAD Judge Me!"
LOVE THIS POST! I can relate soooo much to what you said. If people honestly say they don’t judge … they are full of it! They have at least ONCE made a comment under their breath or to their spouse or friend(s) about someone they recently encountered. It doesn’t make me a bad person. We can’t change the person. We can only hope and pray that they attempt to better themselves or their situation.
Thanks for stopping by my blog after joining the blog hop! 🙂 Take care!
Amanda, aka “The Procrastinating Mommy”
I agree, we are only human after all! Thanks so much for stopping by!
🙂 I totally judge the no stretch marks!!! LOL I envy the no stretch marks! But that doesnt mean that I dont love that you dont have any! You always look great! Pregnant or not! Loved the post! We all judge, sometimes we are right and others we are not! People always think Im this mean bad ass, and if they only knew that I am the biggest cry baby, get hurt feelings for nothing person they would probably be mean to me!! lol Im still on the stretch mark thing!! Im a hater! with love
lol I can handle that! I think your a bad ass…but there is no one I can think of better than you to battle on my side 😉
Aww I just read this!!! Just a few months late! Thanks my friend you are a great woman and friend…..
xoxo thanks 🙂
If you’re talking on your cell phone in the stall next to me in a public restroom I WILL flush the potty three or four times. 🙂
I. LOVE. ONE. DIRECTION!!! Story of My Life is just beautiful. sigh.
My kiddos are always gettin on me for cussing. Meh.
I judge you!! I judge you to be awesome!
That’s fair LOL! Fist pump for 1D, and thanks for your judgement 🙂
I love your honesty, cuz we all do something!